In the short and long term, the Observatory plans to undertake research projects that will require the remunerated participation of qualified master’s and PhD students.
To begin the projects as soon as possible once they have been entrusted to the Observatory, we are compiling a database of the names of students who are interested in participating.
Qualified students may be invited, when the time comes, to submit additional information about their application or to attend an interview.
All graduate students whose thesis, directed work or internship is integrated into the Observatory’s scientific program, in addition to being supervised or co-supervised by one of the Observatory’s member researchers, are invited to express their interest in one of the projects listed below by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This email must:
- Contain the subject line: Student Candidate Bank
- Specify the project and components that the student is interested in
- Clearly mention the name of the member researcher who will supervise or co-supervise the student
- Include a brief resume
Here is a short summary of the projects that the Observatory may be beginning in the coming weeks and months.
PROJECT SUPPORTING A PUBLIC ORGANIZATION SEEKING TO DEVELOP AN INTRODUCTORY STRATEGY FOR AI
Expected start date: August or September — Expected end date: 6 months later
- One student may be invited to lead an assessment of cases of successful AI implementation in foreign public organizations.
- Another student may be tasked with completing a literature review (specifically a scientific literature review) on the complex questions concerning the introduction of AI in the public sector (for example, how to manage changes resulting from the introduction of AI, how to ensure the ethical and responsible use of AI, how to promote access to data needed to develop AI applications while sufficiently protecting the data).
As the organization is based in Quebec City, students must be based in Quebec City for the duration of the project.
PROJECT SUPPORTING A PUBLIC SECTOR ORGANIZATION SEEKING TO DEVELOP AN AI SYSTEM TO MEET A RANGE OF SPECIFIC NEEDS
Expected start date: September or October — Expected end date: 12 to 36 months later
- One student may be invited to provide regular monthly monitoring of the tools and approaches (technical and non-technical) used to ensure the success of an AI project in the legal sector.
- A second student may be called on to participate in the development of best practices in data management.
- A third student may support the organization in applying the best data management practices retained.
- A fourth student may be tasked with documenting the organization’s experience implementing AI over the long term (to ensure that data is captured and passed on to other organizations).
As the organization is based in Quebec City and Montreal, students must be based in one of these cities.